Compartilhar

Fuel hike protests leave trail of destruction in Naivasha

Publicado em: 19/05/2026 13:05

Scores of youths were injured and property worth millions of shillings destroyed during violent demonstrations in Naivasha over the rising cost of fuel.

The protests, which began as demonstrations against increased fuel prices and the high cost of living, descended into chaos on Monday as youth engaged police in running battles, looted businesses and torched vehicles and supermarkets in different parts of the lakeside town.

By Tuesday morning, major roads in the town remained deserted, transport operations paralysed and businesses closed, while heavily armed police officers patrolled the streets in an effort to restore order.

Transport lorries belonging to Kanini Haraka wholesalers which were torched and looted during the Monday demonstration that turned violent in Naivasha town. Photo by Erastus Gichohi.

According to witnesses and business leaders, demonstrators raided Haraka Kanini Stores, where eight lorries were set ablaze before the nearby Khetias Supermarket was looted.

Protesters also torched Powerstar Supermarket after looting goods from the premises and a lorry involved in the construction of the Rironi–Mau Summit Road was also burnt during the unrest.

The violence left more than 20 people with sustained bullet wounds, including one victim who reportedly remained in critical condition.

The demonstrations come amid growing public frustration following recent government measures that have pushed up fuel prices, further increasing the cost of transport, food and other basic commodities.

Critics have accused the government of failing to cushion Kenyans from the rising cost of living, while traders and Kenyans across the country continue to feel the economic strain.

Chairman of the Naivasha Business Community, Evans Chege, described the incident as one of the darkest days in the town’s recent history after youths turned violent and vandalised businesses.

“What was meant to be a peaceful demonstration turned tragic with innocent traders counting huge losses, while some youths are nursing serious injuries,” he said.

Chege noted that workers employed by the affected supermarkets risked losing their jobs following the destruction and looting of businesses.

“All Kenyans are suffering because of the high fuel costs, but it is unfortunate that some individuals took advantage of the demonstrations to loot from struggling traders,” he added.

Vice-chairman Duncan Kamara warned against further acts of looting, saying the business community would work closely with security agencies to identify and prosecute those responsible.

“We shall not stand by and watch a few individuals destroy businesses under the guise of demonstrations,” he said.

Youth leader Simon Wakaba condemned the violence, noting that government policies to increase the cost of fuel had left many Kenyans frustrated by the soaring cost of living.

“The Constitution recognises the right to picket, but we cannot support looting and destruction that has been witnessed in Naivasha,” said Wakaba.

Naivasha OCPD Wilson Sigei warned that police would not tolerate further violent protests in the town and assured residents that security had been heightened.

“It has taken years to build this town, and we shall not allow a few individuals to destroy those gains. We want to assure residents that their security is guaranteed,” he said.

The unrest in Naivasha mirrors demonstrations reported in other parts of the country following the latest fuel price increases being driven by the ongoing conflict in the middle east.

By Erastus Gichohi

Fonte: Kenya News

Faça um comentário